Interview with Brian J. McCarthy, an exclusive reprint from the archives of Manner of Man Magazine

 

Interview with Brian J. McCarthy


Photograph by Francesco Lagnese. All rights reserved.


 

 

This exclusive interview with interior designer Brian J. McCarthy was conducted by Nicola Linza and Cristoffer Neljesjö in New York during June 2019.

 

When did you decide you were going to be an interior designer and decorator?

I went to Pratt Institute thinking I was going to major in industrial design. Eight months into the program freshmen year, I started meeting students in the interiors program and learning more about it. I knew immediately that that was what I wanted to do. I had always been fascinated with houses and living well.

 

Of course, part of your history includes working at the legendary Parish-Hadley Associates. What are three great pieces of knowledge you gained from that experience?

First was learning the importance of having a dialogue with one’s clients and understanding their point of view, mining their thoughts on how they want to live, which enables us to do our best job. The role of a decorator is so multifaceted and includes getting to know your clients in extremely personal ways. You are entering into a marriage of sorts on so many levels.

Second was the idea that form always follows function; the most important Parish-Hadley philosophy was always making a room comfortable, beautiful, and a reflection of the clients’ lives. While at Parish-Hadley, I also developed a sense of curiosity, and I would immerse myself in the wonderful library they had for inspiration and reference. Albert Hadley would also always refer to the skyline of a room, which is meant to encourage the eye to travel around a room, and from that I learned the importance of movement and rhythm so a space doesn’t become static.

Lastly, my time at Parish-Hadley taught me how to be a gentleman and have humility, which was something Albert embodied completely, embracing youth and paying forward the importance of mentorship.

 

How do you approach color for a space?

Before I think of color, I think about the value change from room to room and the sequence. For instance, I might want a darker color or stronger color as the core, which in turn sets up how the rooms unfold and revolve around that core. 

 

What do you feel is the launching point of a new interior?

Defining the architectural style is the essential first step of any interior. If it is new construction, then one has the latitude to steer the project in a certain direction.

 

If a client has a significant substantial collection of fine art, how does that plan into your overall scheme of things in terms of designing a room or entire house?

It absolutely plays a very significant role. While it may not be cast in stone, it’s important to establish an idea of where pieces might be placed. I always love to talk about how art inspires my backgrounds, as it becomes an integral part of how I work with pattern and color.

 

Andy Warhol once said, “The best atmosphere I can think of is film, because it's three-dimensional physically and two-dimensional emotionally.”  What is the best atmosphere you can think of?

A finished project that at once becomes a scrapbook of my clients’ lives.

 

What architect would you select, living or deceased, if you could build a new house of your own from the ground up? 

Carlo Scarpa!! I’m fascinated with the Italian modernists, and it would be a dream to have done a project with him, much less my own home. 

 

How would you describe your style?

Eclectic modern rooted in a traditional classical background. My greatest joy is working with artists who bring a bespoke uniqueness to each project.

 

 

 

The above interview with Brian J. McCarthy 2019 © Manner of Man Magazine. All rights reserved. Reproduction is strictly prohibited without written permission from the publisher.