Interview with Charlie Siem, an exclusive reprint from the archives of Manner of Man Magazine

 


Interview with Charlie Siem


Image provided by Charlie Siem. Photographer Gilles Marie Zimmermann. All rights reserved.

 

This exclusive interview with classical violinist Charlie Siem was conducted by Nicola Linza and Cristoffer Neljesjö in London during October 2018.

 

What inspired you to start playing the violin?

Beethoven’s violin concerto.

 

When did you realise you have talent to play professionally?

I never thought about it that way. I simply wanted to play and would do it wherever I could professional or not. I have been fortunate that it has turned out to be my profession as well as my passion.

 

Is there anyone who has been crucial to your progress?

Many people. I feed off all kinds of people and philosophies for inspiration and constantly need to recharge this.

 

How would you describe your style?

Simple and comfortable - I try to do it elegantly

.

What do you want the audience to feel when they watch and hear you play?

I want people to feel connected through music. Connected to something essential within them as well as beyond them - almost paradoxical but the transcendent is both within and without and that is music’s purpose.

 

If you could meet any violinist in history, whom would it be and why?

I’d love to have seen Paganini in concert. He was such a character by all accounts and all we can judge his playing by are bewitched reviewers superlative responses.

 

What do you enjoy doing when you’re not playing the violin?

Reading, eating and drinking well, cars, staying balanced.

 

 

 

 

 

The above interview with Charlie Siem 2018 © Manner of Man Magazine. All rights reserved. Reproduction is strictly prohibited without written permission from the publisher.